(originally posted 3/15/2015)
Anybody interested in Cuba.....and soon?!! When I was at the Pleasanton CA fly fishing show, Dylan from FlyWater and I were hanging out with the guys from Avalon. We were talking about travel, and photos, and they liked the idea of us getting a group together and fishing their newest destination on Cuba's north coast. This trip is normally about $6400 per person......they are offering it to us for $5000 an angler. Besides Dylan and I, there is room for 8 anglers.
This is some of the fishing area accessible from the Avalon Fleet 1. Note the dark water offshore.....this is the Bahamas Channel, noted for being a pathway to migratory Tarpon.
We would be staying on the Avalon Fleet 1, one of Avalon's luxury yachts. We will board the boat sometime around the middle of the day on June 27th, and then move offshore to anchor us close to the best fishing. Departure from the boat would be sometime around the middle of the day on July 3rd. A lot of the fishing should be for migratory Tarpon. We would hope to see a lot of fish in the 40-80 pound range, with fish over 100 pounds showing themselves as well. Cayo Cruz is also noted for its population of Permit. As anglers choose, and with the advice of their guides regarding times and tides, we will pole flats looking for Rays and the Permit that like to accompany them. Bonefish are also plentiful, on the larger side, and can be pursued both from the boat and on foot.
Here are all the critical details:
- Arrive Havana June 26th. Night at 5 star hotel included
- Depart Havana early in am on June 27th. Transfer to airport, flight to Cayo Coco, and land transportation to boat marina included. Fish 1/2 day
- Fish from Avalon Fleet 1 June 28th-July 2nd
- Fish morning of July 3rd, then move back to marina. All transportation back to Havana included. Night in Havana at 5 start hotel included
- Depart Cuba July 4th
- Flights to and from Cuba
- Person to Person License (if you should choose to get it). Cost is $500
- Cuban Visa (cost is about $17)
- Taxi from airport in Havana to downtown hotel, and back to airport upon departure
- E150 per person marine park fee
- Extra drinks beyond the 8 supplied daily
- Guide and staff gratuities
- $25 Cuban exit tax
If you and any of your friends or acquaintances are interested, I will need to know right away. As I mentioned above, this is limited to 8 anglers. We have about a month to book the trip. Let's go!!!!